Thursday, April 29, 2010

USAV Regionals

Well this past weekend was an experience. I competed in USAV regionals this past Saturday with a team that needed another player. I was recruited to play middle. Now remember the last time I played middle was my freshman year of college so that's 3 years ago! Yes, I can still hit middle hits because even as a right side and left side I would use those attacks to surprise the other team. BUT it's the blocking that went away. So at regionals I will admit I was getting faked out or caught cheating to a certain side. Teams did get a couple of one on ones thanks to me and my lack of waiting and watching. My old coach used to say "better late than fate," meaning even if you are late to the block, close as much space as you can and go up straight and who knows, maybe you'll get a good touch or a block rather than just leaving your pin blocker all by themselves.

As for the hitting, it was rusty at first, especially because I hadn't played volleyball for at least 3 weeks and I was hitting off of a new setter. Our connection was not great at first. It was fairly frustrating because I knew my capabilities and I was not hitting like I knew I could. But as the day went on the connection got better. In fact I ended up having a couple of kills that I was impressed with. By the end of the day I was having fun! You may ask why I wasn't having fun before that. Well, you see the majority of the hitters were not able to make it to the tournament. They were missing their big outside and their two middles. So they had me play middle along with their libero, and then a ds played left side. We had 6 players so we all played every point of every set of every match. Our record for the day was 1-7 (sets). We were struggling to say the least. It was very frustrating to me. I wanted to put the ball away but with our passing struggling the middle wasn't able to be run very much. Plus we just weren't able to compete very well with other teams until our last two matches. The last two matches were enjoyable. The team seemed to find a groove and soon we were able to run middles and different plays. I think we finally all relaxed and stopped playing so tense. It was during these last two matches that I hit a girl on the top of the head off of a quick and had 2 hits from the left side that just left me smiling. It felt good to hit like how I used to. And I am pretty sure it happened because I stopped focusing on the score and our record and just went out on the court to play the game that I love.

So regionals were interesting to say the least but at least I got to play. I have to admit I woke up the next morning and my upper body was so sore! My legs were fine because of all the training I have been doing but my upper body was not having it. I needed a massage for my back, my arms, my ribs, everywhere. It was that that made me feel old. I never used to feel like that after playing. Apparently I need to start playing more than once every 3 weeks. Come May 15th I'll be playing nearly everyday and then I won't have that problem! :)

This week so far I have ran and lifted. On Monday I ran around the outskirts of our campus with my roommate Lyndi. We ran 2.81 miles in about 24 minutes. It felt good to just go out and stretch out my legs on a nice run. Lyndi and I were able to chat and catch up. Then on Tuesday I worked out with Rico, my trainer, and he said my squat form is getting better and a muscle in my leg is beginning to pop more. Both these comments made me more excited and more motivated to keep working. I really can see a difference in my legs. And when I played on Sunday, I felt like I was jumping higher which is a great thing! I definitely need to get a better vertical for beach. Wednesday I ran with Lyndi again. This time we ran 2.6 miles. The time was around 28. It just wasn't a good day of running for me. I was struggling a bit. I love when I have good days of running and hate that I have bad days of running. Tomorrow (Thursday) I am going to return to my hill and my sand sprints. I think I will do 8 sprints up the hill and then work my way up to 4 suicides in a row in sand, so total it will be 16 suicides in the sand. And to run to the park it's a half mile, so I will have run a mile regular as well. I am going to be tired but feel oh so good!

The girls on the team here at Bradley, so my old team, just finished up spring season today. So now I will have some people to play beach with. A couple of them are excited to play with me and do the workouts with me as well. I can't wait to get some competitive doubles going on. It won't happen this weekend though. I am heading home for a wedding on Sunday! I am so excited. It's my best friend's sister's wedding. :)

I hope everything is going well with you all! I will update again soon! Like always, if you have a question just post it and I will answer it!

No comments:

Post a Comment